Posts tagged US Citizen
As of 8:50 AM this morning, I’m an American.
Here’s the timeline for me:
- March 30, 2008 – Sent in Application N-400
- April 3, 2008 – Received application
- May – Fingerprinting appointment
- September 19, 2008 – Citizenship interview
- September 29, 2008 – Oath
- September 29, 2008 – Registered to vote
Well, my UK application for citizenship didn’t go so well (it wasn’t rejected, just delayed pending some more paperwork), so today I’m thinking of applying to change my Green card into a citizenship The infamous N-400 form is all it takes, plus time. According to the USCIS (formerly INS), the application takes less than 6 months to process, so in order to be able to register and vote in the next general election in the US, I’ll need to apply soon. As a green card holder married to a US citizen, it takes 3 years less 90 days before you can apply (everyone else it’s 5 years…)..
Interestingly, like my green card application, the application asks if I am now, or have ever been a member of the Communist Party. I thought that question went out with McCarthy and Edward R. Murrow.